It’s actually fried jerky with fat (trust me it’s amazing), but better than bacon. Dad agrees. He named the title and came up with the recipe.
Approximate time: 15 minutes
We eat a lot of fatty cuts of steak (rib steak for instance). If you save the fat instead of cutting around it and throwing it out (and store it in the fridge), you can make this delicious dish. It’s shockingly good, try it out.
Jerky (can be unflavoured dried meat)
Apple cider vinegar
1. After refrigerating your steak fat (so it’s solid), chop it into really tiny bits (as small as possible). The chopped pieces are about the size of my thumbnail.
2. Turn a frying pan on medium high and drop the chopped fat in.
3. Once it’s sizzling, turn it down.
4. Stir once one side is browned.
5. Chop up jerky (or bits of other meat) (see jerky recipe for details – this jerky can be unflavoured though).
6. Add jerky (or bits of other meat) to the fat.
7. Add salt, pepper, and turmeric. You can be very generous.
8. Turn to low and let cook until everything is caramelized (usually 6-7 minutes).
9. While it’s cooking, make yourself a salad.
10. Chop up lettuce (I use one bunch per salad from those packs of 3)
11. Add arugula (a handful)
12. Add cilantro (if you’re a cilantro person – I am)
13. Add cucumbers if you want
14. Add jerky/fat mix to the salad!
I usually eat this in the morning with salad (if I’ve had steak recently).
15. Add olive oil and vinegar, salt and pepper, and you’re done!
This is plenty for breakfast or whatever other meal. And really tasty.